Saturday, August 13, 2011

Textured Beauty of the Day!

"Hair Rockin" RHODA


CNB: How long have you been natural?
Rhoda:  Back on July 21, 2009  I embarked on a very exciting adventure in my life: transitioning from relaxed hair to natural hair.  It has been 2 years and I it makes me sad to think I did not embrace my natural hair sooner.
CNB: What made you go natural? 

Rhoda: Well, there are two reasons why I decided to go natural:   
First, as a child I remember my mother caring for my natural hair with homemade mayonaise conditioners and moisturizing creams.  My hair grew and certain hair accessories would not clasp due to the length and thickness of my hair.  Fast forward to my adult years, I began to notice serious thinning and shedding of my hair.  I felt my hair was nothing special and life-less.  I always took good care of my relaxed hair, but their was still the comparison in my head of what my hair used to look and feel like. 
Secondly, I have two young daughters and as I cared for their hair, I began to take note of their beautiful curls and waves.  It hit me one day...these children have my DNA, therefore, my natural hair is most likely just as beautiful!
CNB: What do you like about being natural vs being relaxed? 
Rhoda:  I love the look, feel, flexibility, versatility, and individuality of my natural hair!  I also like the fact that I can care for my hair myself, and save the money I would spend going to a salon.
CNB: What do others say about your natural hair? 
Rhoda:   When I Big Chopped my hair,  my husband was my biggest supporter and still is to this day.  He loved my new look, and said it felt like he was married to a new woman!  What was most shocking was my mother's reaction, which was seriously negative.  She was unable to hide her love for long hair.  Not so surprisingly, the reaction from my co-workers was mixed:   I was working in a predominately caucasian environmentwhere everyone looked and dressed the same.  I received some strange,  and even offensive comments.  Although I was insulted, at the end of the day I didn't really care what they thought because they were already so boring.  Today, I receive so many compliments on my hair, even from my mother!

CNB: How do you feel about yourself now that you are natural?
Rhoda:  When I first went natural, the Big Chop caused me to really focus and take time to get to know myself.  I felt like layers of my old self had been peeled and fallen away.  I began to learn about make-up and tried to accessorized my dress when appropriate.  It feel like my natural hair journey has added an additional level of consciouness to my being.  Accepting how God made me and encouraging other's to get to know themselves as well.
CNB: Have you inspired others?
Rhoda:  Yes!  My sister and favorite cousin recently began their natural hair journeys.   It has been great sharing products and social media sites with them.   One important note:  I do not think my natural hair journey would have been as successful, if not for YouTube and Fotki hair forums.   The inspiration and encouragement I received from ladies (and some men) from around the world has been FANTASTIC!!!   I hope to soon create my own social media site and pass the inspiration forward to others.
CNB: What is your basic routine for your textured hair? 
Rhoda: Well, it seems my hair has experienced a serious growth spurt (Yay!!)  So, I co-wash my hair about every 2-3 days, and clarify about every month or two.  I have been enjoying braid outs, but can't live without wash n' gos.  As my growth continues, I hope to wear twists and twist-outs.  I sleep in a satin bonnet and on satin pillowcases.  I have learned to love water on my hair!
CNB: What do you want others to know about being natural? 
Rhoda: I want ladies to know our natural hair is so beautiful.  While some enjoy relaxed and smooth hair, the curl and texture of my natural hair is so fun and gives me additional personality!  Ladies should also understand that anything nice, requires maintenance and care.  Natural hair is not easier than being relaxed, but once one learns what works for their hair it becomes easier (if that makes sense!!).  I believe the generation in which I was raised, never learned how to care for their natural hair due to the popularity of relaxers and lack of products.  Today, I feel fortunate to be present in a day of shared information and products via the internet.   As well as an increased consciouness, acceptance, and appreciation of the value, beautiful people of color contribute to the world...however we wear our hair!     



Pictures Below




Relaxed hair 
Big Chop

Few months after BC

Now

 
Thank you so much Rhoda for sharing!  Rhoda was actually my first natural client!  I really appreciate her giving me a chance to do her hair while I was in California and for being a friend to me when I was in there.  She a beautiful person and has beautiful hair and I'm so happy that she's continuing to love it!





                                                                                        

1 comment:

  1. I love that you're embracing your self and inspiring others to do the same. Best to you always!

    Kellie, Your Sister

    ReplyDelete